Monday 7 December 2015

HAT MAN





Hello, my name is not Duncan, but for now, it will do. I do have to apologize I had hoped to write my first story about my childhood pet, I think it was going to be a good one I had it all planned out, but something else got my attention forcing me to work on this instead. This was the last thing I wanted to start with.  Please believe me,  when I made the claim that most of my experiences with the natural world had been pleasant and had been good, in some cases my life has been saved by those of the natural world.  How do I start this whole thing off, by telling you something dark and life threatening, but to be honest I never thought I was ever going to see him again I thought I had left him behind in my childhood where things like that belong.   As you can tell I am trying to delay going further. I will admit I was lucky when it came to encountering this thing.  But because of it, I nearly lost my sister,  I am convinced that he was the source of my childhood dogs ailment, I am not confident  I can tell you this story without being scared or becoming too angry to finish.  I will do my best to explain my experience and, who or what Hat Man is.
Might as well jump in feet first with a snap introduction

No matter what culture you are from, or the area where you live; we as children have one thing in common,
  we all have a boogie man, in fact, a lot of areas in the same country have their own figure lurking in the dark ready to come out after us for one reason or the other. Most regions, states, provinces,  small neighborhoods have their own dark creatures  born  from  urban legends  to ancient myths being born  of those many  cultures, I am not an expert in cultural affairs,  However I would think no matter our age or culture, as children we have our own generation culture,  creating our  own things that go bump into in the night.  I was like any other kid part of my own culture I had my own boogie man, just as my sister had her own skull face creepy Corner Voyager (another story for another time) other kids may have things that follow them home, things that live in the closet or under their bed (which could be a good thing as said before, another story for another time) For me and the kids at my school, had Hat Man. Not the most terrifying of names nor the cleverest, but we were children.
Things that seem to scare us as children sometimes
  do stay with us, but are ultimately  forgotten and laughed at when remembered (mostly) as adults we find different things to be scared of.  I doubt when I tell you about Hat man you’re going to be scared unless of course you had the displeasure of being part of that youth culture that had him as their boogie man.
I would like to point out one thing before I really start and, to be honest,
  I am not sure if this is the case with my Hat Man but the one thing we (the living world) have in common with the natural world (the world of the spirits and ghosts etc…ect) there are jerks in every world, it’s a universal truth. For melodramatic purposes, I’m going to call them (wait for it…wait for it…) dark spirits.  One of the things they love is our myths, stories, and urban legends,  at times they use them to give themselves form, flesh, blood, an unnatural life. Why to at best;  troll us;  and at  worse, to do us harm, bringing fiction, myth, and half-truths to life, just to torment and harm us ( as said before; Jerks.)  The targets of these jerks are mostly children they are more prone to the natural world, then adults; what is the strongest of all nightmare fuel; a child’s imagination.  If your child or a child you know starts talking about something that sounds  silly to you, but is scaring  him or her  it could be a boogie man or a dark spirit, either way, please take them mostly serious (still a chance it could be their imagination)   I have delayed enough. Hat Man is called such, because of his hat (no surprise there), in my children’s culture, Hat Man went after kids that were rude, misbehaved, caused trouble, had poor grades and was messy. Kids at my school had stories of encounters with it during the night. Hat Man would come to your bedroom in the middle of the night to give you a warning. A total of three warnings and upon the fourth visit he would swallow you whole and then spit you out leaving you a blank.  I am not sure what that meant some kids at school thought it would mean eating everything inside you and spiting you out as an empty shell, like a peanut, some other kids thought you would be unable to think for yourself that everything that made you; you;that someone  or anyone could refill you with the things they want you to be, and you would accept it, becoming a whole new person.  This was the theory about Hat Man as an adult when I think about it I’m still not sure what it means.  All I know it means to be blank, to be empty, to be here, but to be completely gone.  I  have no wish  to give it any more thought.
 Just remembering seeing those large pale green eyes is enough to bring childhood fears back, when you are a child anyone bigger then you was quite intimidating even an average size man or woman would be big enough. Hat man was no exception he was oddly enough an average size man but almost everything else about him was too large for an average size man. His large green pale eyes were too big for his head, his mouth and his lips went past his face, his teeth were jagged and yellow as he smiled at you, his hands were oversized. As  said before not very scary for an adult but for child with his large sharp pointing ears and his long  large nose; with a strange symbol on it were quite terrifying, but the one thing  I was most scared of was his head, the top of his head was oversized, upon  his head rested a top hat, what laid under it,  a second mouth, circular in shape; teeth sharp pointy all the way down, he would pick up a child with one hand while removing the hat hanging the child upside down looking the child in the face talking to the child  before hanging him or her over its second mouth while he talked to them either to give them a warning or to finish the fourth visit.  The mouth would open up to reveal; sometimes a child inside, being made into a blank or being readied to become a blank, other times  remnants of what he took  slowly being digested,  enough to scare the crap out of any kid.
Just seeing him was enough for me, yea I saw him, it was a time in my life when I was starting high school.
  Those who were in danger of hat man were from grades six to ten, I met him later in my youth. Now I refer to myself as the kid back then, but if you had called me such a thing in my youth I would get all mad claiming to be a young adult and not some child or kid to be told what to do, you know a typical kid reaction.   During this time my grades were not the best, to say the least,  my attentions were being spread thin a good portion of that was placed on the opposite sex  and why they had become more pleasant to me  in ways I  never thought of before, hell I even discovered things I could do with those of the same gender confusing yes but very delightful .  So yea my grades were down, I was a mess of hormones which did not make me the most pleasant of people to be around and I was just plain messy (still am)
Why would a creature of darkness care about any of that, why would our Hat man target such children, you see I am from
  a small town I would give you its name but I doubt you would have ever heard of it, but the high school I attended was built from the town's old school house, closed and all but forgotten, for some reasons unknown to us instead of tearing down  the school house they built the school around it, the cellar of the old school house was locked  and sealed tight.  This, of course, was believed to be the home Hat man. He was thought to be a teacher from the 1900’s one Robert Holmes who was obsessed with order and education, students that had order in their lives were good students, good people and would grow up to be members of a proper  and productive  society , and to become all that, all one would need in their lives was discipline and order. Robert went out of his way to  make sure this happened, if the students failed or refused to follow his instructions  on how to behave not just in his school, but in their private lives, he had creative ways of disciplining them until they conformed. for the most part, this did not bother the parents of the time, they too wanted their children to behave in a manner  in which  society deemed proper and right, so their kids could one day grow up to become productive members of society, plus every child that was in his class went on to great things and have great careers improving the status of the family. And that's all that mattered. 
 Robert found himself respect, power and now holding quite the bit of influence  within town, Robert became boastful and arrogant because he had become an authority figure he became, a decision maker for the town. He was given the title of The Great Educator by his supporters. Though  not everyone approved of him, some did voice their concerns about his methods being cruel and humiliating.  His detractors claimed he had a second mouth that he ate with because his head had become so fat. This bothered Robert to no end till he started to wear a top hat to try and hide what he thought was his oversize head.  Those with concerns were unable to act because they were a minority on the issue, the issue which the majority called minor and foolish concerns, dismissing them.  
This all changed when a willful student moved to town, Ms. Austin Seward, a very willful youth from England. She said what she thought and acted as she did, she wore risky clothing for the time, she drank, she smoked and was very vocal in woman’s rights, she had male friends whom were not suitors and would carry on with them. To make things worse, she was a great student when it
  came to her grades, always aces. Robert saw this as a challenge to his authority and methods. She needed to be stopped and made an example of.   That’s what the story would say giving us no examples, something told me, we as kids only knew the watered down version of the story. The story said, in fact,  he would try his methods to  try and discipline her, and try to change her, only to have them backfire on him again and again as she managed to stay one step ahead of him.
This drove Robert insane as he saw it, his good standing in the community vanishing before his eyes, his authority crumbling away with each time this young adult got the better of him, it was unknown even if he himself was aware that he started to be crueler towards the female students even if they lived up to his standards which lead up to a parent hitting him right in his big nose. This sent him over the edge. One night he kidnapped a bunch of students including Ms. Seward taking them down to the cellar of the school house, where he did not only kill each of her friends but dined on portions
  of them, each time asking   “You are going to be a proper lady now.” It didn’t matter what she said he would killer another and dine on another.  This did not end well for Ms. Seward but what the so-called Great Educator did not know was this child had a connection  to the natural world, she had a way with animals like no one else had ever seen before, when Robert took her life, her animal friends took acceptation, taunting, and tormenting, and harming him the best they could. Robert could not go anywhere without being attacked by animals, cats would hiss and scratch, dogs bite and chase, birds of all sizes would dive down at  him with beak or talons on the ready to grab at him,
The townspeople thought this to be strange but they had much more on their minds as they were still searching for their missing children never expecting that it was the man they called the Great Educator; Robert Holmes, that was until one day a pack of wolves followed him into town, the authorities gathered to get rid of these beasts, only to find that the wolfs had dug up the bodies of half eaten children up from around the school house. Robert tried to blame it on the wolves but one, thing, wolves do not bury their food.
  Before the people could let their anger take control, Robert fled to the school, a theory is that by now his sanity was gone and he had retreated to the one place where he had authority and power over others,  as they could do him no harm behind those walls.  Now this is small nit-pick I have with this old story it seems that somehow the cellar door was opened and in his state of mind, he did not notice as he fell into it, which lead him to his demise.This does  explain why I never found my way into his second mouth nor did I ever get a second warning.  Was it because I became a great student and turned my life around, well no thanks to him (but I did), today I have a great job, a loving husband (deal with it), a cute as pie cat name Lou,  I and Tom are even talking about adopting.
The reason why Hat Man never got his hands on me a second time; because the rules of sway.
  Every boogie man (among creatures of all sorts)  have rules that  they  follow for reasons he or she may not know, mostly these rules were created by them in some fashion while they were alive which followed them to their graves, their strengths and powers based on their beliefs. Their weakness  and fears based on the same concept and what Hat Man hated and feared where females of any age to even hear a baby girl laugh was a torment to him, the other thing he was terrified of was animals, mostly birds, cats and dogs pets friends to humans as well as other species of the kind. I hope you see what I am getting at.  In his mind, a woman destroyed his life while animals tormented him and ultimately killed him. When he had his hands on me lifting me off the ground the fear burning inside of me keeping me quite, he hung me upside down bringing him closer to his face, his lips formed a smile I could see his disgusting teeth before he could say anything my big sister came charging in, she had just came home from baseball practice; with bat still in hand, good news for me, as his oversized head was too much of target not to swing at.  He let out a shriek of anger before vanishing leaving a small green stain of decay and mold.  The only sign or proof he was ever in the house.  We called our parents (No higher authority to a child) our parents then called the police no one really believed us that it was the shock of the break in that made us see things like this, I could understand them not believing me I was a child but my big sister I mean she was nearly out of high school I mean wow, again they said it must of have been the shock of seeing her younger brother in danger that clouded her memory to create such a thing. After that, my sister insisted moving into my room every night sleeping with a baseball bat in hand. I only heard maybe three times her jumping out of bed as If chasing something away. When asked she would say it was nothing and to go back to bed.  Though I was scared I was happy, having fun; my big sister was sleeping over we would talk  about all kinds of things before going to sleep, which lead me to come out to her. She had many questions, and many more when I told her about my boyfriend.  She seemed happy that I was comfortable with myself and was able to fall in love and was able to find someone who could fall in love with me.  She even told me she was seeing someone as well, this was great, we were even allowed to have our dog  sleep in the room with us, our dog was a huge Dalmatian, Allison, Alley for short.
One day my sister had an accident she fell down the stairs, hurting herself bad enough to have stay at the hospital, she claimed it felt as if someone pushed her. That night I was to be alone, this is when you think things would get worse for me. This would be the end.

I was curled up in the corner scared out of my mind, as Hat man slowly moved towards me taking his time, his raspy voice told me this had been a long time coming and I was finally going to be put in my place, a
  loud growl came from behind it, he turned his head to see Alley with her teeth out, the fur on the back of her neck standing on end, it seems he did not know I had a dog, he let a shriek as Alley went at him with full forces, her teeth sunk right into his arm, hand and face. I swear I saw Hat Man lose size he got smaller and smaller every time Alley brought her teeth into him.   With each time she bit down on him green oozed out of him. He vanished when my parents came home from visiting my sister (It was a school night I couldn’t go to see her) they found me curled up in the corner sleeping with Alley standing guard over me.  When she first heard them, she let out small but deep growl until she realized who they were.
Just like before women and animals were Hat Mans downfall you see he did not get into the cellar completely by himself, as
  the story goes, a strange mysterious  young woman pale white, cold  was seen leaving the school blood dripping from her hand she stopped looking back at those townspeople that first arrived at the school and said “I punched him in his big nose” then giggling; she walked away vanishing. To this day, everyone claims the spirit of my Seward had come back from the grave to avenge her death.  So there laid Robert on his back just being punched so hard in the nose it sent him falling downward into the cellar. I wonder if he was screaming  and cursing about his revenge or was he too busy screaming in fear as a pack of wolves followed by dogs, cats (and other felines from the area) along with birds came charging down through the cellar ripping him apart.  
A new school was built on the other side of town, why; claims where the town was going through a big enough population growth to warrant a full school, they named it Saint Seward’s; the schools symbol was a pack of wolves. The old school house was closed and the cellar was sealed shut this was a good enough grave for The Not So Great Educator. As someone wrote in red paint over the cellar door.

What does this have to do with me not giving a heartwarming story about a boy and his dog, which scared those around him, but leaving the boy untouched? Simple last night when I sat at my keyboard trying to fight writers block trying to figure out how I am going to tell you this tale, when I saw it at the end of the hall gleaming at me, it eyes pale green, his hat not a top hat but wearing a fedora, this time, I could tell how his breathing became hostile he remembered me, and he was only heard to see a grudge through, his oversized smile on his lips gave me promises of torments to come,
  the kind that mocked you, that said you are all alone, no big sister to protect you, no dog to coming to your rescue it just me and you.  At first, I did give a step back,  but only to grab the fist blunt object I could find and throw it, aiming at his nose, with bad aim but with the size of his head, I was able to hit him  in the eye, he gave hiss “ baaaaad boy, you are a baaaaaaad boy” I threw the second object, a statute of superman “I am not a child I am a grown man.  I didn’t need you then to tell me how to behave then I don’t need you to tell me how to behave now. PISS OFF” That was last night the green stain of decay on my hardwood floor which won’t come clean is  still the only proof of his visit.
Now
  I’m wishing I’m still on bent knee trying to clean up that mess instead of this you see  I am home alone again  the husband is down in the states on business, Hatman must have thought me to be helpless,   Hat Man would want to think so   but it seems to me he needs me to be frightened to be scared because once more he was trying to take his time, once more he was trying to scare me like he did before, what he did not know was that I am not scared of him, if he was not too busy trying to savor the moment he would have seen my cat, my little cutie pie sneaking up behind him from the bookshelf with her claws scratching into the wood before she leaps off it, if  he had not been too busy he would have seen me reaching for my sisters baseball bat.  Placing it behind my back, like poetry  my computer starts to play  The end  by the doors.  And NOW (this is for ever having laid hands upon my big sister,)
And now my story has come to an end if you don’t account for the new green stains of decay on the hardwood floor,
  the bat did its damage my cat whom  I am now having to keep from playing with  pieces the of corpse, helped me  she kept it at bay, At the end it was not wood nor claw that brought this monster down, but by pulling on his huge nose, hard was enough to finish him off once and for all, the nose; it came off right in my hand, he let out a shriek of pain and fear as green goo poured out of him from where his nose had been killing him as his shriveled and shrank into a small husk of a man . The good news is I think I can clean this all up before my husband can get home, he does not need to know about this.
“Honey, I’m home” Early… home early; well this is not going to be fun. “Hon” I call out “I just want you to know I don’t go looking for this sort of thing it seems, it comes looking for me” I have to go now, I have a lot of explaining to do.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment